UKCS: Siccar Point applies for Cambo developmentCambo field location. Source: Siccar Point

UKCS: Siccar Point applies for Cambo development

Siccar Point Energy aims to uncover over 800 million barrels of oil in place over the next 25 years at Cambo field.

The proposed development project will comprise the following:

  • The concept for the Cambo Project is for a dedicated, moored Floating Production, Storage and Offloading (FPSO) vessel to produce hydrocarbons from two drill centres.
  • Eight new production wells and four water injection wells will be drilled in the Cambo field. Additionally, the Cambo 204/10a-5Y well, drilled as an appraisal well in 2018, will also be completed for production.
  • The field is expected to produce oil and gas for approx. 25 years.
  • Offshore development activities are due to commence at the Cambo field in 2020, with first drilling operations in 2021. First oil is expected in 2023.
  • The proposed development lies adjacent to the UK/Faroe Island transboundary line, situated at water depths of between 1050 m in the southeast to 1100 m in the northeast within the Faroe-Shetland Channel.

Overview of the Proposed Field Development Layout (indicative illustration – not to scale). Source: Siccar Point

Cambo was discovered in 2002 and had five wells drilled into the structure. The field lies within UKCS Blocks 204/4a-5a-9a and 10a, in the West of Shetland region, within licence areas P1189 and P1028, for which Siccar Point is the Operator (70% equity). The other co-venturer is Shell UK Limited (30% equity).

Cambo is a large basement high with sedimentary sequences draped over the top of Corona Ridge structure. The main reservoir is the Tertiary Hildasay Sandstone of fluvial/deltaic origin with very good reservoir qualities.

Stratigraphy of the Cambo area.

The Cambo area also has material upside potential with areas of undrilled Hildasay reservoir, good potential for Colsay reservoir at the edges of the structure, and a fractured basement prospect underlying the existing discovery.

Well 204/10-1 (Cambo 1) was drilled in 2002, and oil and gas were discovered in late Palaeocene Hildasay Member sands of the Flett Formation. The reservoir has been subdivided into several units from the H10/H20 basal unit to the H70 uppermost part of the Hildasay Member.

A pre-drill seismic line from the White Zone 3D dataset indicating the main intervals believed to be prospective at the Cambo location.

204/10-2, 204/10a-3, 204/10a-4 (4Z) and 204/5a-1 wells were drilled between 2004 and 2013.

Schematic section through Cambo as understood in 2009 and the location of 204/10a-3 (Cambo-3).

Appraisal well 204/10a-5 was drilled in 2018 and encountered oil-bearing Hildasay sands in units H70, H50, H40 and H30, with gas present in the H10/20 unit. The subsequent horizontal side-track (204/10a-5Y) was tested and flowed naturally at 5000 bopd.

The well is currently suspended as a future producer.

Only the Hildasay H50/40 and H30 sands will initially be targeted during the proposed Cambo Field Development.

Siccar Point has reviewed the reservoir development in the southern part of the field and has determined that a third drilling centre comprising five additional wells could be an economic additional phase of development that would target the additional resources present but not developed by the current two drill centre plan. As with the two drill centre case, the southern third drill centre would target the seismically imaged H50/40 channels and the extensive H30 sands.

Production Profile of the Proposed Cambo Field Development. Source: Siccar Point

Illustrations source: “Exploration and appraisal of a 120 km2 four-way dip closure: what could possibly go wrong?”, Author: K. D. Fielding et al., 2014 and Environmental Impact Assessment Siccar Point Energy

X